High School Exchange Program in Thailand
International students from any country aged between 15 to 18.5, travel to Thailand to attend public school for a semester or an academic year while living with a volunteer Thai host family and take part in cultural exchange activities throughout the program. Students choose to arrive either in May or November.
Students must complete an application in English, submit transcripts indicating above average grades, and write an essay. ‘YES’ students are required to attend an arrival orientation in Thailand prior to their arrival to the host community. The primary focus of the course is to acclimate students to Thai culture and prepare them for their academic year’s stay. There’s no deadline, we can accept students all year around.
Host families are carefully selected to participate in programs and encouraged to review several students’ applications before selecting the student who would most appropriately match their family’s lifestyle and interests.
Only students who show good Character, Flexibility, and Curiosity are accepted. They must have finished their freshman High School year with a minimum grade point average of 2.0. Students are expected to abide by ‘YES’ policies and procedures and to follow the rules of the Host Family whilst in Thailand.
The process typically takes six to twelve weeks depending on the program. The participant must complete the full application form. After receiving this, YES will assess participant’s suitability and place each participant individually on one of YES programs. YES will send email the placement information together with an invoice to the local agency (if any)
- YES offers the participant application to the potential host families.
- The host family submits the profile to YES
- YES check the host family qualifications and make a home visit. (Usually done by local coordinator)
- YES checks the background of host family which involves criminal background check from the police. We provide a document of host family’s verification.
- YES provides all the documentation needed for visa process.
- YES accepts participant an informs local coordinator to get ready to welcome participant into the community.
- YES staff from headquarter send the host family handbook to the host family and also conducts and orientation via phone (The local coordinator will follow up with the host family again)
- The participant arrives to international airport and the host family (or the coordinator) does the pickup and arrival orientation at YES Officer
- The participant joins the program until the program conclusion and returns home via a memorable experience.
1 Year (8-10 Months)
May or November
May to March
31 January or 31 July
The progam fee includes
- YES T-shirt and international handbook
- Host family placement (breakfast and dinner with host family)
- Host local school placement
- Arrival orientation
- Application, screening
- Ongoing support by local YES coordinator
The progam fee excludes
- Participant’s air ticket to Thailand and return your home country.
- Health check and vaccinations (if necessary)
- Comprehensive travel and health insurance (requirement)
- Visa to Thailand
- Food (about 1 USD/day for lunch) and other expense
“The experience was absolutely wonderful!!! The host family such a great match and so kind. I was constantly blown away by their generosity and openness… This has definitely inspired me to want to know more about the rest of the world. Thank you!” From Rebecca-France
106total visits,4visits today